Advice and representation for patients and their relatives on Mental Health Law.
Our Mental Health Team provides advice and assistance to both patients and relatives on all aspects of Mental Health Law.
We represent those who are, or who have previously been detained under the Mental Health Act 1983 (as amended). Our Lawyers are specialists, who have been accredited by the Law Society to advocate for clients at the First-Tier Tribunal (Mental Health).
We can help you with:
- Advice if you have been sectioned under the Mental Health Act 1983 (as amended) for both
- ‘unrestricted’ patients (section 2, 3, 37, and CTO patients)
- ‘restricted’/forensic patients (section 37/41, 48/49, 47/49, 45A, and conditionally discharged patients)
- Representation at First Tier Tribunals
- Assistance at Hospital Managers hearings
- Assistance at Section 117 and Care Programme Approach (CPA) meetings
- Advice regarding voluntary inpatient admissions
- Assistance with issues with treatment and progress both in hospital and in the community
- Advice and assistance to challenge unlawful detention
- Advice and assistance regarding Section 117 aftercare
- Advice to Nearest Relatives on their rights, including advice on displacement proceedings
- Appealing the decisions of the First-Tier Tribunal, and representation in the Upper Tier Tribunal
We are often able to act at short notice and have experience in assisting clients with very complex issues.
Please do not hesitate to contact the team if you require urgent advice and assistance, particularly if you are detained under the Mental Health Act 1983.
The vast majority of our legal advice is available entirely free of charge to clients through legal aid. Please see our funding page or contact us for more details.
Our Mental Health team is comprised of dedicated and experienced Lawyers who are committed to providing the highest quality of advice and representation. The team is headed by Mr. Gozie Okorocha, an experienced Solicitor who is accredited under the Law Society Accreditation Scheme. The Mental Health Team operates from the City of London, Birmingham and Leeds offices.
We typically cover hospitals in and across London, South of England, East of England, Midlands and the North West of England.
We recognise that our clients are amongst the most vulnerable people in society. We pride ourselves on building a relationship of trust with each and every client and we always strive to achieve a positive outcome for our clients.
We aim to provide a flexible and tailored service, providing advice over telephone, email, and in person. The team regularly travels to see clients at psychiatric wards and community mental health centres. Where appropriate, appointments can also be made to see a member of the team in one of our offices.
The Mental Health Team works closely with the Community Care and Court of Protection departments at GT Stewart Solicitors. The teams are experienced and skilled to recognise the connections between these areas and are able to refer any matters to the relevant department to ensure that you are provided with a full service that is suited to your needs.
If you would like to discuss the work that we do further, please contact us on 0208 299 6000. Alternatively, you can make an online enquiry and we will respond at the earliest opportunity.
“Whatever the odds, there’s a way”
Our expert solicitors are ready to help
GT Stewart has established itself as a leading firm in the UK for criminal, housing, mental health and family law, specialising in private cases and also Legal Aid work.
We pride ourselves on regular referrals from other firms and agencies
We are known for our tenacity when representing those engaged in challenging the State or defending themselves against a prosecution.