Our housing team are hugely experienced in all aspects of homelessness law
We can help you challenge unlawful decisions made by local authorities.
With council housing in such short supply, most council’s turn to the private sector to source accommodation for homeless applicants. Accommodation offered may be unsuitable for a number of reasons. Understanding your right to challenge a council’s decisions on your homeless application is crucial.
There are tight deadlines to seek a review of decisions made so the sooner you seek advice the better. Our specialist lawyers will advise of the duties a council has to house you and whether there is sufficient evidence to challenge any decision/ breach of duty.
- Council’s providing unsuitable housing
- Failure of a council to accept a homeless application ( gatekeeping)
- Failure of a council to provide temporary accommodation
- Finding a homeless person not to be in priority need of housing
- Finding a homeless person not to be homeless
- Finding a homeless person intentionally homeless
- Finding a homeless person not eligible for assistance.
Legal Aid is available for a range of civil work including homelessness case. To qualify for Legal Aid we will carry out an assessment of your income and capital as well as the prospects of success of your case. The Legal Aid Agency provides an online calculator which you can assess direct to determine whether you may be eligible. We will help you through the Legal Aid Application process and if you are not eligible for free legal advice, we can provide a number of other funding options including:
• Conditional Fee Agreement ( CFA)
• Fixed fee/staged payments
• Hourly rate private fee scheme
“Whatever the odds, there’s a way”
Our expert solicitors are ready to help
GT Stewart has established itself as a leading firm in the UK for criminal, housing, mental health and family law, specialising in private cases and also Legal Aid work.
We pride ourselves on regular referrals from other firms and agencies
We are known for our tenacity when representing those engaged in challenging the State or defending themselves against a prosecution.